Sufi Order Board North America Resolution 9.19.15
The SOINA headquarters will relocate from the Abode to a metropolitan area. The Abode will continue to develop in alignment with its original purpose as stated in its organizational documents, which is:
“The purpose for which the Corporation is formed is to perform the functions of, and carry out the purposes of, the Sufi Order, by:
- Establishing one or more in-residence economically self-sustaining spiritual centers, which will perform the following functions:
- Promoting the religious teachings of the Sufi Order; and
- Being a center for the teaching and performance of the Universal Worship Service and other forms of worship taught by the Sufi Order; and
- Exploring and developing methods by which persons may live in a manner most harmonious with the forces of nature, consistent with the teachings of Pir-o-Murshid Hazrat Inayat Khan and other Sufi masters;
- Doing any other act or thing incidental to or connected with the foregoing purposes or in advancement thereof.”
The relocation of the SOINA headquarters will be financed in the most conscientious manner. Sources of funding might include, in the following order of preference:
- Donor contributions to a targeted campaign.
- A restructuring of SOINA/Abode resources to effectuate an equitable allocation between the organizations to make them both sustainable, which would potentially include:
- An equitable distribution of potential funding from any proceeds of a conservation easement on the property located in New York and Massachusetts based on recent investments of the SOINA in the Abode.
- A partial sale of the property located in New York and Massachusetts as a source of funding with priority given to spiritually-minded and ecologically -attuned organizations or individuals.
Over a transition period of several years, governance of the Abode would be transitioned to a subcommittee of the SOINA board, and eventually to a fully-independent Board of Trustees to be nominated by the SOINA Board and confirmed by the Pir.
Motion (Bayazid): That we adopt and authorize the actions as written in the roadmap that we have outlined.
Second, Huzur Nawaz.
Motion passed unanimously by those in attendance.